Thursday, March 31, 2011

My First Meal in Argentina


I am standing in the check out line at a supermarket in Bariloche, Argentina minding my own business. I had just crossed over from Chile because my visa ended that day. After a long bus ride, I just wanted to get some good food in me. On the conveyor belt I have pasta, pineapple, some juice, and tuna with the hopes of whipping up a creative dish. An elderly gentleman that is standing in front of me paying turns and examines what I am going to purchase; he was is pleased.

He starts to tell me how I need meat. I am in Argentina, I need meat for every meal!!! I offer up the tuna as an alternative. According to him, the best meat in the world comes from Argentina and it would not be wise of me to miss out on an opportunity to try it!

Then he asks where I am from. Normally I say New York; no one has usually heard of Connecticut unless they are from the States. Suddenly he burst into song! Very loudly, he starts to serenade me with an old jazz tune clearly about New York. I am definitely a bit embarrassed but it brought a smile to my face.

I thank him for the song, pay, and eat a terrific first meal in Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment